I have always had a love for writing and knew that was what I wanted to do in life. After I finished my undergraduate degree, I was seeking out a variety of writing based jobs. The one I landed up in was that of being a copywriter – and that’s how I found a job that truly made me happy. After two years of working in my home country, however, I decided to move to Australia and pursue my Master’s degree.
On completion of my degree, I decided to pursue my job search in the copywriting world in Australia. Through trial and error, I managed to get consistent work, and finally to keep a job long term. Along the way, many people asked me what I did to get the jobs that I wanted rather than needed. This is what I believe you need to do to get the job you want:
1. Keep telling yourself that things are going to work out, even if you don’t know yet how. Optimism gives you energy and the ability to market yourself.
2. Take every rejection as a learning experience. I took each rejection and channeled my energy into getting something bigger and better. I also took it as there was somewhere more better suited for me to be.
3. Knock on as many doors as you can. There is no job beneath you. I had only one rule while applying – I would only apply for jobs that allowed me to do what I wanted to do in some way. There were jobs that I applied for (and a couple that I got) that were really no where near what I dominantly wanted, but I applied for them anyway.
4. Customise your job application. Whether it is a job that is exactly the same as a few other jobs, there will always be a requirement that comes across as specific to that job itself. Make sure that your cover letter addresses it. Not just that, change some words around in your resume too, to ensure you are actually coming across as the perfect fit for the job.
5. Keep an updated LinkedIn profile, with all the keywords relevant to your industry included. If you need help, get it from someone who knows what they’re doing.